Friday, April 3, 2009





Obviously I love Tokomadji, my little on-the-Senegal-River village of about 1,000 people, complete with dusty roads, repetitive meal choices, and funny clothes. But I guess I took it for granted that my FAMILY from the UNITED STATES of AMERICA would be able to too, as well as overlook the heat, flies, communal aspect of EVERYTHING, eating--well, really licking-- food from the hand, squatting to do anything, and doing everything on the ground all the time.

It was a very typical African start to things: we somehow got split up going to the bus station, so my English/Spanish bilingual family (good on 3 continents) was TOTALLY lost in a French/Woloof/Pulaar/Bammbara/Hassaniya bus station. Then there was trying to keep tabs on them all as they tried to ward off peddlers, "watch" the baggage as its being put atop the car, and pile into the back of a 5-rowed, 19-seater "mini bus." After teaching them their first word (yuuni, meaning enough. say it: you- knee) to keep off the begging children, we started our 19-hour ride from Dakar to Matam, complete with trying to sleep in the stiff confines of stinky students, uncomfortable seats, and holding "carry-on" items in our laps.

Fortunately, we were greeted at the river by two brothers that SWAM ACROSS because they were so excited when they saw us coming! If only you could see them climbing into the canoe fully clothed, dripping wet, next to my grandma as she's sitting on the edge with her behind only 2 inches from the river's flow, my mom as she's bailing out water by our feet with half of a left over water jug, my dad as he's keeping an eye on the bag with the lab top to see if it--or any of the stuff--is getting wet, and the poor guy rowing, alone, all of us with all of our suitcases as well as the locals that needed to cross over.


When we landed all the kids in my house were there to carry our stuff, my host mom and 'dad' came running down the bank, showering us with hugs and greetings. As they were settling in, my family was welcomed to the village by hundreds of neighbors, elders, children, and a few crazy people, as I attempted to explain weeks of training, months of trial and error, and years of technique refinement to them in the space of a few hours.
Like how to tie a wrap skirt so your underwear (or lack of it) isn't showing, how to sit without flashing people, how to pour water from the cannery into the satela (say it sat-elle-ahh) aka "butt pot", where to sit according to age, sex, and social status, how to shake hands, say hello, say good bye, and what to generally expect from people during a quick greeting and welcoming to the village.

My favorites are seeing Penda hugging my mom, Neene Booli (Mother and say it: bowl-E) hugging and kissing my grandma (and grandma's shock!), translating (like, constantly) for my family to the villagers...and the villagers to my family...and my family to the villagers...and, you get it, right? and my "Twin", Djeewo (Jay-oh) calling my dad uncle (a sign of respect) in Pulaar: Kaw (say it: cow.) So he called her nalel (say it: ñ-ahh-lil') which is Pulaar for calf.


They really did it (almost) all! The prayer call before sunrise, the braying donkeys that wake up with the call, unknown bugs crawling on you in un-reachable places, sharing un-washed cups with everyone present, drinking from canneries to keep water cool, sleeping, eating, sitting, receiving guests, etc. all on the same straw mat, licking food from your palm to your finger tips,
bathe in the river (or in river water that I brought them back on my head), ...I love them for trying it all!

Common questions: 1) How was it? A: Good, stressful for me, but I'm so glad that they came out, know my family here, understand what I'm going through, and took way better pictures than I did.
2) Did they get sick? A: No! Just once, one person had the runs, but with well-cooked food and filtered or bottled water it was all good!
3)What was hard for them? A:Eating with the hand (it spilled en route), wearing the clothes (I think some people saw more of America than they ever hoped for), the tiredness (they looked literally beat up by life when we got them back to the airport), the flies (really do land on your face, food, butt, etc.)

7 comments:

Megan said...

WOW Michele! I cried when I read this blog! Your family is so amazing!

Yvonne said...

YOU HAVE ANOTHER TWIN?!?! SAY WHAT??! but man oh man! I am soo glad your family was there! glad you had a good time even with the stress of it all ;) I miss you!
THE REAL TWIN! grr...

Bruce in Ensenada said...

Hi Michele!
Had lunch with your Dad (2) days ago but couldn't talk about the trip then. I'll get his comments when we go to Mulege in two weeks!
Love your updates/pictures - esp. the one of your Dad "cheating" with a spoon in his left hand (what is that all about?) while your Mom is eating out of her palm! LOL. Grandma looked good as did Kelsey. What stories they have to tell! Glad it all worked out and they got to go.
Will work on a care package to send you.
Bruce

ronnidee said...

michele, i miss you so much! i almost cried reading through this blog and seeing the pictures of your family! kelsey looks like she adapted well, and your mom especially. i LOVE the picture of your grandma where she is looking down her "blouse" (or whatever it is you call it!) I wish I could talk to you, there is so much that has changed. needless to say, i moved back home. i am jealous that your family got to visit, it seems soooo awesome!! i miss you and love you, hope to hear from you soon!!
xoxoxo ronni

robin said...

HI roomy. You look so good and I know your mom had a great time seeing you. She has really missed you. It appears that the PC agrees with you and you have learned so much in your year there. I don't know why but this just seems like you have found your calling. Keep up the good work girl and a care package will be comming with your name on it. hugs --- robin

Anonymous said...

Hi michele. My name is Alioune Cire Ba. unfortunatelly i did not meet you in my lovely village because i live in USA since 2000 . i just read your story about my village.You may met my brother Zakaria who is the mayor. I am in Philadelphia if you wish to have news from peinda bolol , nene boli, cayniis, maayo senegal... my email aliounecire@hotmail.com.
"A jaaraama mi salminiima"

Anonymous said...

from alioune: i think i get who myou are now if i am not wrong it is Dieynaba sow